The Bremen Public Library in Indiana offered the first 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
program, created from the inspiration found in Mem Fox’s, Reading Magic. It spread from
there, with libraries primarily in the Midwest and a few in the Northeast offering the program. This new initiative launched at Paddington in September of 2013! Please visit our little library to take a book, leave a book or sit on our stairs and enjoy a book.
Our hope is that together we can share the love of literature with all our Paddington students. By exposing children to books we will instill a lifelong love of reading in young children. Children’s literature can take you away to another world creating images of far away places, which in turn can be acted out in play settings. Our goal is that through this program we are also able to present families with information on early literacy and titles of quality children’s literature.
By listening to stories and reading together, children develop a solid foundation of pre-reading skills to build on for future academic success. Every book opened holds the possibility of new vocabulary, new concepts, and a conversation starter. Anita Silvey, former publisher of children’s books and editor of the Horn Magazine wrote, “The act of reading to a child is the most important contribution of our society that adults can make.”
Ways we’ve worked to achieve this goal since September of 2013:
- Hosting a read-aloud and book signing in October 2016 with author David Shannon in celebration of his newly published book ‘Duck on a Tractor’.
- One our ‘Families Helping Families’ initiatives was to collect new books for Reach Out and Read Colorado
- Participation in One Book 4 Colorado
- Reading daily in classrooms
- Adding a librarian to staff our collection and share the love of reading with our students
- The introduction of the Reading Rocket, the Denver Public Library Book Mobile at the Spring Festival
- The opening of our own Little Free Library
- Hosting a visit in early September 2013 with Peter Brown, children’s author
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten… it’s about a book a day!
Related: Great Books for Children